I’ve never really addressed this but I actually don’t live in Washington D.C. I live right outside in Alexandria, Virginia, and have been here for four years. Greg and I moved here because we fell in love with it’s Old Town charm and being close to our work. Before purchasing our house we talked about other places we’d maybe want to live and we simply couldn’t come up with any other cities. So today I thought I’d do a little something different and share just five of the reasons why I love living in Alexandria.
Why I Love Living In Alexandria
1. Let’s start with the most obvious: Old Town. It’s the cutest area of town and being by the water is so calm and relaxing. I love walking up and around King Street, stopping in for a coffee at Misha’s or getting gifts at Red Barn Mercantile. There are so many cute cobble stone streets and I admire it’s historic architecture each time I’m there. The waterfront is the perfect spot to recharge my batteries and go for long walks with Greg. Old Town is also incredibly dog friendly and you’ll be sure to run into furry friends on each corner. Pure heaven on earth for me!
2. It’s only a step away from well, everything! I can catch the metro into DC or the airport. I can fly directly to Zurich from Dulles airport to visit my family in Europe. And we’re close but not too close to Greg’s family who mostly live an hour car ride away. We like that we’re in our own little world here in Alexandria but can venture out to visit family and friends when we want to. Every time I drive back to Alexandria I get that warm fuzzy feeling that tells me I’m home in our own little part of the world. Hence why we ended up buying a house here!
3. Did I mention the water already? Walking along the waterfront or simply sitting on a bench looking out is one of my favorite things to do. There are a few parks along the Potomac River and every single time I come down there I’m reminded how much I love where we live. It’s only a 10 minute car ride from our house, how can you beat that?!
4. The vibe. You can tell people are a bit more relaxed out here because we’re not in D.C. and don’t have the heavy weight that is politics following us every corner we turn. Everyone seems a bit more chill and if you want the crazy hustle and bustle, D.C. is right across the river. My friends who live in the District think I live in the suburbs but I happen to think that I’m quite the city girl! Alexandria City girl, that is.
5. There’s always something to do around here. Whether it’s checking out a new restaurant, art festivals in the fall, finding the best pub quiz or attending the Saturday farmers market… Alexandria always has something going on. With it’s creative scene at the Torpedo Factory, the many independent shops and cafés and its friendly community, I honestly couldn’t imagine living anywhere else!
OTHER POSTS ABOUT ALEXANDRIA:
SHOP THE LOOK