As my 26th Birthday is approaching next week I wanted to reflect upon all the things I have learned over this past year and really, all the years up until now. I know it sounds crazy but as soon as I turned 25 I had a clearer vision of who I wanted to be, where I wanted to be and what’s really important to me. No longer did I feel influenced by other people who thought I should behave in a certain way, dress in a certain way or do things because I was “supposed” to. By no means do I have everything figured out but I feel a lot more confident in myself and want to share with you the 25 things I’ve learned in 25 years.
1. Surround yourself with positive, like minded people. The negative ones aren’t worth the headache.
2. Take time for yourself. Book that massage, get your nails done, read a book, whatever it is, take time for yourself.
3. Adopting a pet is the best thing you’ll ever do – provided you have the time and means to do so.
4. Find an exercise routine that works for you and suddenly you’ll realize how perfect it fits into your schedule.
5. Eat the donut.
6. Wear whatever you want, even if others think that it’s “not you”. You know who you are, they don’t.
7. Figure out the people who’ve held you back in the past and don’t let them do it ever again.
8. Take classes or workshops in subjects that interest you. Only because you finished college that doesn’t mean you’ve stopped learning.
9. Eat healthy. Or at least try to. Your skin will thank you.
10. Surround yourself with people who are smarter and more experienced than you. They’ll push you in ways you didn’t think possible.
11. Binge watching your favorite TV show all weekend is perfectly acceptable.
12. Buy yourself flowers – and it’s okay to spend more than $15 on them. You’re an adult now.
13. Send birthday cards to your closest friends instead of a long social media love declaration.
14. Find doctors who you like, even if that means you have to drive 20 more minutes to get to them. There’s nothing like finding a doctors office where you like everyone from the receptionist to the doctor.
15. Spend time alone. It gives you an opportunity to check in with yourself and helps reset those buttons.
16. Get to know your neighbors. It adds a nice sense of community to your daily life.
17. Support local farmers by going to farmer’s markets and buying from the local produce at the grocery store.
18. Slowly but surely upgrade your furniture and household items. It’s okay to start having nice things in your home without feeling like you’re too young to have those things.
19. Have a dance party in the middle of the day by yourself. It gets you through that project a whole lot easier.
20. Hire an accountant. It’s so worth it to have someone to bounce questions off of and do your taxes right.
21. Roll the clothes in your suitcase when traveling. It saves you so. much. space.
22. Figure out what colors work best for your skin tone. It makes buying makeup a whole lot easier and you won’t get distracted by things you know won’t suit your skin.
23. Find a good hairdresser and stick with them, no matter how much it costs you. It’s totally worth it.
24. Go out and vote. Your voice does matter, no matter how crowded the field.
25. It’s never too late to go after your dreams.