I’ve lived in Alexandria (Virginia) for four years now and one of the many things I love about it? We’ve got the best coffee shops in Alexandria. We have such an amazing variety that there’s truly something for everyone. If you don’t know where Alexandria is, it’s about a 20 minute car ride outside of D.C. It’s not far away but just far enough to excuse myself from the hustle and bustle of the city. Alexandria is most famous for its quaint part of Old Town but no matter where you go, you’ll meet friendly people – probably with a cute dog in tow.
List Of The Best Coffee Shops In Alexandria
Every so often I treat myself to a good cup of joe and depending on what I’m in the mood for, I go to a certain coffee shop. There’s a handful that I rotate between for different reasons:
– Swings Coffee: They roast and sell their own coffee at this spot in Del Ray and I am in love with the industrial interior. If you’re there earlier in the day, you’ll also have a delicious selection of pastries – almond croissants and cinnamon rolls among the many. Swings is always filled with locals because their coffee is just so good. I love coming here with friends or for work. Plenty of seating and their latte is my go-to order.
– St. Elmos: Also located in Del Ray, this coffee shop is right across from my pilates studio. I love coming here after a tough workout and treating myself to a foaming cappuccino. St. Elmos offers plenty of different seating options, a good tea selection and more food options than just pastries. From families to freelancers working away, it’s a great spot for everyone to enjoy.
– Killer E.S.P: This Old Town coffee shop is on the smaller side but the amazing coffee, bite selection and funky decor more than make up for it. If you’re lucky, you see the owner’s boston terrier walking around, trying to get attention from the locals passing through. I love grabbing a coffee here before walking the streets of Old Town and doing a bit of shopping.
– Misha’s: Known for it’s daily roasted artisanal coffee, Mischa’s eclectic interior and prime location make it a popular spot for Alexandrians. If you spot someone with a bright orange to-go cup around town, they just came from Misha’s. The coffee shop is split into three rooms, all of them offering seating from a communal table to smaller tables.
Honorable Mentions Go To…
– Junction Bakery + Bistro: It’s more than just a coffee shop as Greg and I have enjoyed date nights there too. Interior is gorgeous, coffee is delicious and their baked goods are to die for. They supply Swings Coffee with baked goods so it’s a win win when I get to Swings early enough.
– Grounded Coffee Shop: An incredible coffee shop but since we moved, it’s become a bit too far of a drive. They offer live music on Sundays, have a bookshelf full of board games and offer a variety of baked goods and lunch options. The walls are covered with coffee humor signs and its the closest you’ll find to a Luke’s diner (Gilmore Girls reference) in Alexandria.
Let me know if you get a chance to visit any of these spots and what you think of them! Alexandria has developed quite a coffee scene and it’s not to be missed.