It doesn’t get more festive than wearing red lips for the holidays. It’s my favorite time of year to bring out a red lip and make the color the center of attention. I know it’s intimidating to wear a red lipstick but it adds such a boost of confidence to yourself and your look. No time like the present to try out something new and get out of your comfort zone!
A red lip is tricky because you want the color to last while not running on to your teeth. With the method that I outlined below you won’t be having any of those problems anymore. I mean it.
How To Apply Red Lipstick
1. Start by moisturizing your lips with a lip balm. Don’t use anything that’s too heavy as you want it to sink in fast.
2. Once your lips are moisturized use a red lip pencil to outline and fill in your lips. This ensures that when the lipstick has faded you’re still left with a red lip underneath.
3. After applying the red lip pencil, use a face powder (I like to use my MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural) and powder your lips. This step locks the color of the lip pencil in place.
4. Add another layer of the red lip pencil and fill in your lips again.
5. Now you’re ready to apply your lipstick and blot off any excess product with a face tissue.
6. Grab your concealer to softly outline your lips. In doing this you’re accentuating the red lips and covering up any mistakes you made while applying. Blend the concealer into your skin and your red lips will stand out flawlessly!
My Three Favorite Red Lip Products
MAC Lipstick in Eden Rouge: It’s a true red matte lipstick with just enough moisture to not dry out your lips and it pairs beautifully with the MAC Lip Pencil in Cherry. I bought it a few years ago and it’s still my go to red lipstick. Eden Rouge was part of a limited edition collection but I linked a similar lipstick here.
To make your teeth look whiter choose a red lip color with blue undertones.
L’Oreal Color Riche Caresse Wet Shine Stain in Endless Red: That’s a whole lot of words for one product! A wet red lip may not be everyone’s favorite but I love it! It’s a great alternative for when you don’t want to deal with the upkeep of a red lipstick and still want that pop of color. I either wear it on its own or pair it with my lip pencil. With this lip stain I know I’ll always have a hint of red on my lips and still look good when it fades. I’m wearing it in the picture below and I love how the light reflects on it.
Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella: This deep red color is so velvety, you won’t believe it until you’ve tried it yourself. I wear it on it’s own and use the same powder technic described above to make sure it lasts on my lips without drying me out. I did a separate review on it in this post where you can see how it looks on me.
Those were all of my tips on how to wear red lips for the holidays! Let me know if you’re planning on rocking a red lip for the holidays and what you’re favorite finish is. Are you a matte or glossy type?